[OLPC India] objective of scanning textbooks

Fri May 14 01:38:08 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 9:15 AM, Nagarjuna G <nagarjun at gnowledge.org> wrote:
> I would like to know the objective of scanning the text books?  is
> this to create a digital copy of the text book or to transcribe the
> text book for suggesting activities to be performed using Sugar?

I don't know whether you've already received a reply for this. Looking
at <http://www.pumba-online.com/marathi-textbooks> it appears that in
this case the XO functions as an e-book (namely, PDF) reader.

I would say that if the textbooks are allowed to be such digitized
(ie. the copyright and so forth allows that), then having digital
copies which can then be used in the next step to create activities
for Sugar is good. A random idea would be to explore with the InPyCon
folks as to whether they can arrange for a Sugar Activity Sprint
during their event that takes a couple of textbooks or, perhaps books
from a single standard and, develops a generic activity whereby
changing the language can make it portable to various states of India.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>