[OLPC India] Fwd: [Lugb_ml] OLPC trip

narendra sisodiya narendra at narendrasisodiya.com
Wed May 12 09:17:19 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Manu Dixit <manud.24 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM
Subject: [Lugb_ml] OLPC trip
To: lugb_ml at lugb.in

I am feeling great to inform that the Kikarwali trip was a great experience
for all of us.
The events :
May 7 :

   - 6 AM Departure from Bikaner to Kikarwali.

   - 12 noon A small introductory meeting with the teaching staff and
   administration authorities of the School.

   -  7 PM Briefing the public and students of Kikarwali about the concept
   of OLPC, XO laptops were shown.

May 8 :

   -  7 AM - 12 Noon , First session with the students , teams of 2 to 3
   members took the charge of each class,      basics of computers were covered
   - Evening : Practical sessions, children were divided into groups of 4 or
   5 and were given a XO (due to the limited number of laptops).

May 9 :

   - In-spite of a Sunday, some children turned up to the school right in
   the morning , more practical sessions , apps like write , paint , speak ,
   camera , wikipedia were covered.
   - A projector was arranged , children were shown some small movie and
   some XO stuff.
   - LUGB vs Kikarwali cricket match in the evening.

May 10 :

   - 7 AM onwards Children in large number ( from 3 schools ) gathered.
   - Newer ones were shown shown some video about the usage of XO (almost
   instantaneously shot by a small cam)
   - Q & A sessions were held , (some toffees were distributed meanwhile).
   - An adventurous visit to the India Pakistan border, location: 41 PS,
   talked to the Inspector Gaurav and saw Pakistan to the closest one can
   go.(BEST)

May 11 :

   - A group of 3 (Paras, Kartik & Sahil) went to a private school for
   teaching.
   - Local Teachers were taught the basic usage of the XO.
   - Sharing (USP of XO) was the theme of the day.
   - Discussed some issues and views with the authorities on how to continue
   the project.
   - 5 PM returning trip

additional Info
Head Counts : 200 (approx)
Schools Covered : 3
LUGB members (in alphabetical order) :
Abhinav Chittora
Chitrapal Singh
Kartik Manocha
Manu Dixit
Nitesh Kumar ( a special mention for our junior, youngest of all )
Paras Kuhad
Sahil Kataria
Vilas Setia
Virendra Sethiya

The effort was one of the kind in the whole of Rajasthan ( i guess the
laptops were very first to get distributed in this part -covering 5 to 6
states- of the country)

Finally we need to document the whole information - photos, videos ,wiki (
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_India ) so I ask someone to come forward as
some of us would be having exams right away.
I would say the memories would remain with us for a long long time , people
were friendly , reception full on , very intelligent children and the best
of the food.

With Confidence that the project would continue
Manu Dixit

│    Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )
│    Society for Knowledge Commons
│    Web : http://narendra.techfandu.org