[OLPC India] India Digest, Vol 37, Issue 3

damitr damitr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:19:03 EST 2010

> Yes. When it comes to developing content that can be developed by the community, its clearly a community driven effort. As far
> as I can see, technologies like OLPC can hardly be developed by the community while the content surely can be. I guess Apple
> may bea better example. The value of using it lies in the communities. So the applications need to be developed by what some
> call crowd-sourcing though I find community easier to understand.

Yes, probably you cannot see as far as others can, so you miss the
point again and again. Philosophically as OLPC stands now, the
'technology' and the 'content' are both integrated. The 'technology'
has evolved with the 'content', and will continue to do so in the
future. Separating the two creates a distinction where there is none.
Giving an analogy form Apple just misses the point. Apple does not
have any FOSS projects to begin with and is totally commercially
driven [hope you know this already]. OLPC is, as far as the vision
document on the main page says is an educational and a FOSS project.
The value of the 'technology' as well as the 'content' both lie in its
use on the communities [where else would it lie?]. If there are no
takers in the community for such projects, where would such projects
go?

>As far as I can see, your point about the community seems to be the current thinking within the OLPC organization. The
>content needs be developed by the community and those who believe in its value.

...and for those who don't believe in its value, should probably stay
away from such projects.

Damitr
--
What TeX version are you using?