[OLPC India] A corporate leader stands up and supports OLPC, donates OLPC to Chennai schools

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 04:30:01 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 22 Sep 2009 5:45:08 pm Saurabh Adhikari wrote:
> Cognizant Chairman Lakshmi Narayanan has donated a significant number of
> OLPC XOs to the school children in Chennai.
>He is putting together a team to deploy, monitor, evaluate and move forward
>with the project.
In a donation (aka daana), the donor gives up ownership and exercises no
further control on its use. The computer could be used, unused, lost, stolen
or even traded.

If the computers were given as a "social investment" (aka dharma) whoever
receives it shares the responsibility for the desired outcome. The children
don't get it to "own" it (in the sense stated above). It is a Trust model.

I hope you meant the transaction in the latter sense. Do you have any more
info about it? What were the stated outcomes in this case? Did the school sign
up for the outcomes?

Subbu