[OLPC India] FW: One Laptop per Child in India: Picking up momentum...

Mon Mar 30 01:35:14 EDT 2009

2009/3/30 Saurabh Adhikari <adhikaris at hotmail.com>:
> On 3/28/09, Satish Jha OLPC <satish at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> Soon after being asked to support the India initiative by Prof Negroponte, I
> spent sometime understanding the lay of the land and concluded that we
> should target reaching 3 Million children by Dec 2009.
>
> It was not an easy goal and much energy had to be devoted to getting my team
> to understand how to move forward. Finally, we have a team that understands
> our goal and is moving as advised. The results have been encouraging.
>
> Our first significant success came last week when one state government took
> the decision to support 150,000 children with OLPC's XO.
>
> Yesterday another state requested for 70,000.
>
> Three more are hoping to decide within the next week and another 3 in the
> next 4 to 6 weeks.
>
> The election model code of conduct has slowed down the progress a bit as
> most officers will also be on observation duties for much of April.
>
> But the momentum is beginning to build up and I hope that we succeed in our
> goal.
>
> I look forward to your support in whichever way you believe can help us
> reach our goal.

Would it be possible to point to the canonical source of the mail
quoted above ? And, in order to assess how one can support, it would
be a good idea to share a bit more details about what areas need
tender loving care. As of now, the above mail is more of a
memo/announcement and, not a 'call for support'

Sent from: Calcutta WB India.