[OLPC India] FW: One Laptop per Child in India: Picking up momentum...

Saurabh Adhikari adhikaris at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 01:29:43 EDT 2009

On 3/28/09, Satish Jha OLPC <satish at laptop.org> wrote:

Soon after being asked to support the India initiative by Prof Negroponte, I spent sometime understanding the lay of the land and concluded that we should target reaching 3 Million children by Dec 2009.

It was not an easy goal and much energy had to be devoted to getting my team to understand how to move forward. Finally, we have a team that understands our goal and is moving as advised. The results have been encouraging.

Our first significant success came last week when one state government took the decision to support 150,000 children with OLPC's XO.

Yesterday another state requested for 70,000.

Three more are hoping to decide within the next week and another 3 in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

The election model code of conduct has slowed down the progress a bit as most officers will also be on observation duties for much of April.

But the momentum is beginning to build up and I hope that we succeed in our goal.

I look forward to your support in whichever way you believe can help us reach our goal.

Thanks so much

Sincerely,

S Adhikari