[OLPC India] what are the next steps ?

Satish Jha OLPC satish at laptop.org
Fri Sep 12 00:02:58 EDT 2008

Dear Satya,

You can easily tell the minister and anyone you needs to know:

Buying XO is like buying Linux based a couple dozen applications + Windows
XP + MS Office use capability and get it all for less than half the price
and throw in the laptop for children better than anyone ever produced  for
free!!!

If someone still does not get excited, then their motives are not clear..
they are not making an objective choice..

The cost of deploying 150 (though we do not sell less than 5000!, we will do
it for you to showcase it) is 150 x Rs 15000.. this includes all the
necessary infrastructure including server and a couple of weeks of an expert
being there with the team..Or Rs 2,250,000..

Contrast this to Rs 23000 per laptop that Goa is reported to be spending..
we do not know if that includes Linux and XP + MS Office use capability.. So
its a third less.. HCL may sell for Rs 10,000 and that is just hardware.. If
there is no need for a deployment expert, you take care of it all the other
infrastructure, then XO can be provided to you along with dual boot
(Linux+Windows) for Rs 9999..(at current $ rates).

Please do send me the details and will explore how best to support you to
showcase it.

Thanks

--
-- Satish Jha