[OLPC India] #olpc-india on IRC

Satish Jha sjha at vsnl.com
Thu Sep 11 04:04:52 EDT 2008

Thank you for your kind email.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Dev Mohanty <devm at nepalwireless.net>wrote:

> /*Am quite perplexed with the thought that a person of your stature, does
> not to understand that this project is not about Nepal or India, I had a
> feeling you better understood the benefits of "sharing experiences &
> collaborative work" with respect to deployments across the globe. */

It is called OLPC India list for a reason. It has one focus..India.. I would
appreciate if any message posted on this list is polite and respectful and
geared towards achieving the goals of OLPC India. We will come to sharing
deployment experiences when there is a deployment. From your response you
sound like a bright, young techie who may benefit greatly from learning
about collaboration..

> /I was more then willing to extend a helping hand as have done so in the
> past. But then it seems that.. you're the one who's not on the same page on
> it.

Everyone on this list has been very pro-active and has greatly contributed
to the evolution of OLPC and, though I am new here, I am aware of that and
greatly appreciate it. However, we have to redfine the meaning of this list
and I sincerely hope you would like to be on the same page. The fact is that
all the help given by everyone on this list in the past has not contributed
to the spread of OLPC. So we need to re-orient this group and get help of
the kind that is needed. It will be helpful to know what you know and help
when called upon to do so or volunteer when you can and let the organization
see how that can be put to effective use.

I would measure our success in rolling OLPC out and I believe so far we have
not had any effective demand for OLPC in the region. This listsev is about
helping that process as much as it is about undersatnding some of the
technical issues that may crop up.

Then again, technical issues are more likely to be common across the globe.
However, the issues of outreach, getting governments to support it,
corporations to come forward and pay for it are likely to be more specific
to regions though there may be some lessons that will be valuable to share.

Most of all, however, its important that we remain focused and discuss
responsibly.