[OLPC India] Partnering with OLPC in India

Satish Jha OLPC satish at laptop.org
Mon Sep 8 07:25:52 EDT 2008

 I have received some observations regarding the feasibility of the numbers
outlines in the partnership model.

The overall structure of partnerships is to be inclusive, aggregate the
initiatives to help them become viable, reduce the cost of deployment, share
learning, engage as many people and organizations who believe in the cause
of OLPC as possible and move forward as quickly as we can.

Peru and Uruguay have already broken the barriers by going beyond 100,000
and 1 Million respectively. and given the scale of needs, India's financial
strengths to make it happen and the scale of CSR programs of corporations in
India, it should be feasible.

India of 2008 currently spends over a couple billion dollars on CSRs
annually. A fraction of that can trigger building the momentum to help us
reach the goal.

India has had a couple of pilots with 20 or 30 children in a school each.
The next level of projects have to be at the schools that have more than 100
or 1000 children in a school or a cluster of schools in a geography.

Large corporations seeking to make OLPC XO deployment as part of their
corporate socila responsibility (CSR) initiatives have to start with any of
the various categories outlined in the partnership model and that does not
exclude anyone, regardless of size and geography and offers opportunities to
scale up.

Satish Jha
President & CEO
OLPC India