[OLPC India] Seeking OLPC / XO advisor - Paid contract

John Kauffman John at Kauffmans.org
Fri Oct 31 03:02:32 EDT 2008

I am seeking someone familiar with the OLPC XO to provide a few hours of
Email advice and troubleshooting for pay. I can send payment by bank
transfer, check, PayPal or other, as you wish. Let me know if you think you
can help me & what you charge. If you can not help me, please pass to
someone that can help me.

I live in Mumbai and bought an XO from the States through the G1G1 program.
My goal was to show it around to my friends and give them a chance to try
the tool that they had read about. But now I am having some problems using
the unit and I also need some help implementing a project on the XO.

Thanks, John.

The XO:

I have not plugged any devices into USB.

I do not have connection to internet

I have not done any updating of software

I had inserted a SD card for file storage but removed the card.

History of use:

When I got the unit ( ~ Jan 2008) I had no problems.

I used record, write, TamTamJam, Pippy without problem

I lent it to friends to try.

I put it away for six months.

Problem #1 - activities will not start

It boots without problems.

When I click on an activity (Write) the activity icon opens in the ring

The logo gets lighter and darker

When I position the mouse over the logo it says "starting."

After waiting ten minutes it has still not started.

Project "Fish"

I have a project set up as a local website on a PC to identify fish.

Pages ask students questions about features of the fish and then use those
questions to identify the species.

Website can be copied to a CD and run on a PC with browser with no internet
connection

All of the pages are static and very simple - a few pictures and links to
other pages within the site.

The website has about 500 pages with questions to identify the species of
fish.

I'd like to get this working on an SD card on the XO (total size of site is
under 256 Mb).

Let me know if you think you can help me & what you charge. If you can not
help me, please pass to someone that can help me. Thank you.

Regards, John Kauffman

john at kauffmans.org

Home Office (+91-22) 2353 0321

Author of:

Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 Databases         0-4717-8134-7
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471781347>

Beginning ASP.NET 2.0                         0-7645-8850-8
<http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-ASP-NET-2-0-Chris-Hart/dp/0764588508>

and eight books on Classic ASP.  Contact me for information on non-English
ISBNs