[OLPC India] Beginning a rural school experiment inspired by OLPC

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 21:25:21 EDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Saurabh Adhikari <adhikaris at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Great idea.
>
> But let us think about this. Would you like to ask a patient how their
> disease be treated? Physicians developed their understanding by having that
> unique capability to understand disease and what may cure it. Today they do
> not discover cure. They are at best a part of a large process that cures a
> disease.

In fact, we do give patients control over their treatments. We find
that patients who read up on their conditions and are involved in
choosing their therapies tend to recover more frequently and quicker.

> Similarly, would you like the one left behind in education to tell
> us how they should be educated?

In every advanced system of education, students get to choose what
they learn from a certain age. I nearly failed third grade because I
knew how to spell and wouldn't do spelling homework. So my parents put
me into a better school, where I could make arrangements to do harder
and more interesting homework than the rest of the class.

So, in a word, yes.

> If that were the case, we will have no OLPC.

This turns out not to be the case at all.

> So may be we need to look at your idea a little differently.

You stopped just when it was getting interesting. What do you actually
propose we should do?