[OLPC India] Beginning a rural school experiment inspired by OLPC

Saurabh Adhikari adhikaris at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 1 19:51:21 EDT 2008

Great idea.

But let us think about this. Would you like to ask a patient how their disease be treated? Physicians developed their understanding by having that unique capability to understand disease and what may cure it. Today they do not discover cure. They are at best a part of a large process that cures a disease. Similarly, would you like the one left behind in education to tell us how they should be educated? If that were the case, we will have no OLPC. So may be we need to look at your idea a little differently.

Sincerely,
S Adhikari

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 15:38:49 +0530From: rakesh7biswas at gmail.comTo: subbukk at gmail.comCC: india at lists.laptop.orgSubject: [OLPC India] Beginning a rural school experiment inspired by OLPC
If we can create threads around specific issues faced by village schools,school committees and NGOs and how ICT solved them, then we could make somereal progress towards building world-class learning environment for everychild.
Thanks Subbu for raising this.

I am not sure if this is the issue you had in mind but I would just like to mention how I was inspired by the OLPC idea to try out a rural school experiment.

I am a physician teacher presently involved in trying to create a system of "User driven health care" in rural India by utilizing rural school children to interview their parents and create their basic electronic health records ( to start with in the form of a story of their parent's lives) as a part of their co curricular activity.

At present although the rural school where I visit doesn't have a single computer I feel if we just made a beginning using paper and then follow up these parents/patients utilizing a weekly evaluation of the data the students gather from their parents (again on paper to begin with) we could eventually create a record base that would definitely create patient awareness and improve health care outcomes (particularly as at present we have very little foreground information on the patients we get to interview only for a few minutes in a busy outpatient department). It would off course be also useful for health education at a primary school level (where students learn from their parents experiences on health).

I have been lucky in finding a rural school principal who has been giving full support to the idea and we soon hope to see how it develops.

Hope to hear from others who may be interested to see if it can be developed in their own schools for which I would be glad to provide details on operational strategies.

rakesh

Rakesh Biswas MDProfessor,Department of Medicine,People's college of medical sciences,Bhanpur, Bypass road,Bhopal-462010 (M.P.) IndiaOffice Tel: +91 - 755 - 4005210Office Fax: 91 - 755 - 4005112Residence:+91-755-2682502Mob:9755619861email:rakesh7biswas at gmail.com