[OLPC India] Languages covered by Devanagari

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue May 13 09:28:19 EDT 2008

Walter,

As Arjun mentions, I've been following up on Devanagari keyboard questions
that remain for my "keyboard naming" proposal.  He's been kind enough to ask
around.

Two general classes seem to emerge.

a) One keyboard will serve (mostly) one language in many countries. I've
proposed to name by OLPC_*Language*_Keyboard formula.

For example OLPC_Spanish_Keyboard will do service in many countries in Latin
Americas, perhaps side-by-side with indigenous language keyboards.

b) One keyboard will serve several languages, typically found in that blend
in one (or a few) country(ies). Name as OLPC_*Country*_Keyboard.

For example OLPC_Nigeria_Keyboard (serves Igbo, Youruba, Hausa languages)

The use of script/alphabet as a naming convention is less desirable as there
are so many sub-variations on Latin, Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.

It looks to me that the Devanagari keyboard falls into the second category
and perhaps should be named OLPC_India_Keyboard.

India is home to an unusually rich collection of languages and I can easily
imagine there being multiple keyboards designed purely for the purpose of
deployments within India.  At that time, the convention could be adapted by
the simple addition of numbering OLPC_India_Keyboard1, OLPC_India_Keyboard2
or other means.