[OLPC India] Languages covered by Devanagari

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Tue May 13 08:38:50 EDT 2008

Our idea is to document the languages covered by the various keyboard
layouts and make that a part of the respective Keyboard Layouts wiki
pages.

Also
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Conventions#Keyboard_Layouts_page_naming.2Ftagging_proposal
has been proposed by cjl.

Please let us know your thoughts/suggestions.

thanks
Arjun

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't recall the original purpose of the question, but although the
> Devanagari script is used for many languages, please note that many of
> these prefer unique keyboard layouts, e.g., Nepali.
>
> -walter
>

> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> > Manusheel Gupta wrote:
> >  > Sanskrit language will need OLPC Devanagari Keyboards too.
> >  >
> >  > List:
> >  >
> >  > 1. Hindi
> >  > 2. Marathi
> >  > 3. Sanskrit
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Regards,
> >  > Manu
> >  >
> >  As per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari) and some
> >  other sites:
> >
> >  Languages that use Devanagari are - Hindi, Marathi, Nepali, Sanskrit,
> >  Pali (I'm not so sure about this one...) Bihari, Bhili, Marwari,
> >  Konkani, Bhojpuri, Pahari (Garhwali and Kumaoni), Santhali, Newari,
> >  Tharu, Sindhi, Panjabi, and Kashmiri.
> >
> >  Sameer
> >
> >  --
> >  Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> >  Associate Professor of Information Systems
> >  San Francisco State University
> >  San Francisco CA 94132 USA
> >  http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> >  http://opensource.sfsu.edu/