[OLPC India] Meerut experiment and some queries

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 13:52:30 EDT 2008

Hi all,
  The first thing I would say is wow. Holden did have some great
experiences and also wrote it well, plain and simple.

There are several queries I have which have hatched due to the read.
Some of the questions may be stupid and they may be on the wiki or not
but still :-

1. From what I have read the XO doesn't have its own hdd. Put simply
it uses USB interface to interact with an external media or puts the
data on a school server.
Has there been any tests done as to what speeds data moves to & fro
from the machine to the external hdd. AFAIK USB1 tops ranges between
1.5 Mbit/s (Low-Speed) and 12 Mbit/s (Full-Speed) and USB2 at 480
Mbits with the proposed USB-3 at 600 MB/S . Also if its USB2 then is
it the MicroUSB connectors?
http://www.usb.org/press/pressroom/2007_01_04_usbif.pdf

2. Using such a system has anyone at anytime used the XO to run sugar
as well as Debian/Ubuntu and has put a howto of the same on the wiki.
I'm sure somebody may have tried. If somebody has a link feel free to
add the same.

3. Is the Wireless mesh networking/wi-fi mesh and USB-Ethernet on the
go different hardware and follow different paths? If so, couldn't they
be combined to give better bandwidth? There are applications in
GNU/Linux IIRC which allow you to do this.

4. The XO has GPS . Couldn't it be used to plot places and things for
like openlayers. Not for students but for teenagers and older.

5. Adobe-flash :- While I see you guys have used gnash why not also use swfdec?
swfdec is also blessed by GNOME as well.

Another thing didn't adobe release quite some documentation about its
format and stuff couple of months ago? Also isn't it now an ISO
standard. The wordings in the wiki for Adobe flash needs to go a bit
of change as well as look for free flash implementations.

That's all for now, Any and all answers appreciated.
--
 Regards,
 Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17