[OLPC India] Use of X Window System & Matchbox Window Manager

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Tue Jan 8 10:55:30 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 6:41 AM, ASWATHY PRASAD <aswathyp1986 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> What is the use of X Window System and the Matchbox window? It is said
> that the laptop runs the Fedora 7 Linux distribution; on top of the X Window
> System and the Matchbox window manage we run a novel Sugar user interface
> and support library, supporting a core set of "activities" or applications.
> Why is it so?
>
> Does the Draw activity works with the touchpad? Similar to paint in
> Windows where we use the mouse to draw.

Yes, the touchpad controls the cursor/pointer hence  the same would be used
for drawing in the Draw Activity.

>  How many other drawing applications are there in OLPC? Also the word
> applications. Is Write or Abiword is used as a word application in OLPC?

The default OS build  includes an Activity called "Write" which was earlier
called Abiword.

You could have a feel of the sugar/Actvities even without getting an XO on
your home machine through emulation.
See
wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_with_sugar-jhbuild

> If we connect a Wacom graphics tablet in the USB port of OLPC will it
> detect?
>

> aswathy

There is support for a lot of USB devices. For example USB drives, USB mass
storage devices, USB mouse, USB keyboard..etc but i've never tried putting
in a graphics tablet.

thanks
Arjun

Arjun Sarwal