[OLPC India] XO Connectivity

Ankur Verma ankur_18d at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 04:06:52 EST 2008

Hello,

  The rates for GPRS connection is very cheap and in most of the areas indeed this is the 'only' option which can be used to provide internet access to the mesh as is evident from the last post, where he mentions that in some areas of Pakistan, only GPRS connection is available. Thus, its clear that we can exploit this option and by this way give internet access to the mesh.

  Providing internet access to the server through GPRS/EDGE modem is a simple process. One needs to install the driver; start a server and then mesh nodes can then get access to it via the server. I think this part does not need much work to be done.

  On top of this, I wanted to share something very interesting. XO can even act as a mobile, though one can’t make calls, but send messages. This can be fun because this will embark more interest among students and rather than buying a cell phone they will tend towards buying XO.

  To recapitulate,

   Students in the schools can write their queries on XO and then send them via SMS to teachers at distant places even after school hours which would result in a better and cheap way of communication. They can even communicate with their friends sharing their ideas, information and using XO as a source of entertainment.
  Sol: On mesh network Student can send SMS to any mobile number through the server regarding any query one has. The number of SMS which a student can send will<can> be limited.

   Teachers when away from their students can send urgent messages to mesh portal point (server) via their mobiles regarding results notification, attendance record, assessment deadlines, feedback from tutors and other urgent administrative details.

   Wireless Internet can be achieved without any distance constraint by incorporating GSM/GPRS Modem. This enables the student to attend online classes and tutorials without any distance limitation.

   GSM/GPRS Modem can also serve the purpose of internet in areas where no internet facility is available, but GSM coverage is there.  (E.g. Remote Rural areas, which are the targets where we want to, deploy XO).
  Now, I need to figure out whether the modem attached to server can simultaneously provide net access and allow the sending of SMS.
  For this there are two methods:

   AT commands: I think it will not be possible due to already existing transmission between server and modem. This can lead to erroneous results, thought I am not sure.
   Take a connection from SMSC/ SMS Service provider so that SMS can be sent over internet itself.  A simple example to send SMS message using protocol (like HTTP) by submitting an HTTP GET to the SMS gateway using an URL that looks similar to this:
  http://smsgateway.SERVICEPROVIDER_URL.COM/sendsms?account=acc123<studentaccountcnumber>&password=pwd<student password>&destination=919818074219&textmessage=Hey!XO_is_versatile!
  An application can be built for the XO (so that student doesn’t have to write this above line whenever they have to send SMS).  It could also have an option of sending SMS in Bulk, recently sent messages, save phone number, save previous messages, saves incoming messages just like a normal phone has.
  Please give your views and suggestions regarding it.
  Thanks for your time!
  Sincerely,
  Ankur Verma