[OLPC India] charging XOs using bicycles

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Sun Apr 27 02:00:17 EDT 2008

Holden,

The XO's charging circuit takes input voltages ranging from approx 11V
to 18V. These are governed by the EC's behavior that in turn controls
the charging of the batteries.

A while ago, I along with Richard did some approximate calculations
and as a rule of thumb , you'd need to give the XO about 1A @12V for a
little more than an hour to charge it completely.

This means your generator (bike dynamo in this case) would need to
supply approx 12W for an hour. I've found bicycle dynamos to usually
generate much less power, more in the range of 1-4W.

This doesn't by any means imply that I am discouraging the development
of alternative power solutions; I very much would like to see more and
more indegenuous power solutions being tried out.

(Richard: please correct me if I have been wrong on any of the
charging details, I will make sure to put the details down somewhere
on the wiki this time)

thanks
Arjun

--
Arjun Sarwal
Intern, One Laptop per Child
Email: arjun at laptop.org
IRC: arjs on irc.freenode.net in #olpc, #olpc-health, #sugar
Skype: arjunsarwal85