[OLPC India] Ordering OLPC Laptops(XOs) for schools

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Oct 25 03:36:26 EDT 2007

Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 12:07:40AM +0530, Manusheel Gupta wrote:
>
>>> How are the beneficiaries of the give-one-get-one program selected?
>>>
>> The initial beneficiaries of the G1G1 program will be the countries
>> where Government have agreed to deploy OLPC in their respective states, and
>> are looking for some support, due to lack of sufficient funds.
>>

> OK, that sounds reasonable.
>

>> In the near future,the cost of XOs will come down as their scale goes up,
>> and many organizations/individuals will be able to afford purchasing them
>> for their schools.
>>

> OK
>
> I wish our school could be an early adopter. I will buy at least one
> laptop via G1G1 for demo purposes (and for my daughter).

Following up on Joshua's e-mail, and reading up on many different posts
about the Reliance OLPC deal, I am still not clear about Reliance's
role. So, for instance, if the Indian Government had decided to sponsor
the project like Uruguay has, the government would purchase the laptops,
provide the infrastructure, distribute the laptops and take care of the
supply chain downstream from OLPC.

Where does Reliance fit in? Are they providing the infrastructure only
or infrastructure and distribution? Who will pick up the tab on the
laptops? Surely school kids or schools cannot afford it!

Just curious...and hopeful.

cheers,
Sameer

--