[OLPC India] Marathi Font help + Glyph alignment feedback

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:03:45 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 17:09 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> I get mixed results after reseting the font cache:
>
> All the Sugar fields work fine.
>
> In write, I need to cycle through the font selection menu a few times
> before I get to work, but then it works consistently.

Hmm - it worked for me as soon as I selected Lohit Hindi.

> With the browser, I get a funny mix. For example, on the Devanagari
> page in the wikipedia, I get the first instance of 09XX characters
> rendered properly, but farther down in the page, the rendering doesn't
> work.

Somehow the browser is having problems with selecting the fonts. The
initial part of the page in Wikipedia renders properly since it is
_explicitely_ defined as a sanskrit string - ie:

I saved the page locally, changed the source (<html lang="hi"..> from
http://sayamindu.randomink.org/images/olpc_browse_wikipedia_hindi_sshot.png)

I'm not sure whether this is an issue with Xulrunner or Fontconfig. I'll
try to take a more closer look tonight and let you know.

Warm regards,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta