[OLPC India] An indian overview of OLPC project

Jitesh Sachdeva jiteshsachdeva2205 at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jun 19 00:27:08 EDT 2006

Hi to all,
After going through the whole scenario about the OLPC,
I personally feel that for India, this project could
revolutionize the way of education, but I think this
project is not as simple as it appears on surface.
Following points should be made into consideration
while implementing the project:

1)	An attempt could be made to increase the flash
memory from 500MB to around 1GB at the manufacturing
time so that the child can store the important things
like notes, lectures videos, and his projects. If this
can't be done, at least a provision should be made
that a user can increase flash memory according to its
requirements later on.
2)	As in rural India, people are very rigid and
traditional about their lifestyles and hence do not
accept any changes so easily. So there should be
something which could help the parents also like
providing them a way of communication which they could
use to increase their income. This will make the
project more popular and acceptable among villages.
3)	Before starting the mass production, a pilot
project should be tried and tested in any rural
village of India to get the feedback of teachers,
students and their parents. On the basis of response,
the things can be improved accordingly.
4)	Some educational software like e-books should be
provided according to the need of country so that the
use of laptop could be optimized.

The basic thing I want to say that if a country can
spend buying a laptop of $100, it can also spend some
more like $110-120 but features should be made
flexible and useful because it is not easy for
government to replace it in future spending again a
whole lot of money. There may be some flaws and
limitations in this project, but we have to choose
diamonds from stones.
Thanks
Jitesh Sachdeva
NSIT