[Http-crcsync] Repo not broken after all :-) (Re: I accidentally broke the repo, please help me fix it)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:53:19 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Alex Wulms <alex.wulms at scarlet.be> wrote:
> I had commited (locally) one file too much. I wanted to undo that commit
> before pushing everything upstream. I used the command
> git reset HEAD <filename>
>
> But that resetted too much and my local status became confused. I could no

Yeah, I've fallen into that trap too. git reset wants to reset the
whole tree, not one file. To "reset" one file, you can do

   git checkout HEAD -- <filename>

or replace HEAD with any commit you want.

> I had a similar issue a while ago. Git does give me a big headache when I make
> a small mistake. I still have much to learn in that area.

nothing too serious -- no data is lost. I don't tihnk you can actually
lose data with git.  :-)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions