[Health] Tuesday, 4pm EST - Public Health Curricula on the XO

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Tue Jun 22 15:34:08 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Beth Santos <beth at waveplace.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> An open invitation to join us in a brainstorming session about how we can
> use the XO to promote public health across the greater OLPC community.
> Waveplace and a few other interested public health professionals, teachers
> and programmers are teaming up to make some more educational content that
> can be used to teach kids various public health initiatives (HIV/AIDS
> prevention, malaria, sanitation, anatomy, nutrition, etc) using programs,
> puzzles and other learning tools on their XOs.
> Waveplace primarily uses Etoys, building ten structured lessons on Etoys for
> each subject unit. The idea is to build enough content so that teachers feel
> comfortable using the XOs in the classroom, and I think public health would
> be a fabulous realm of interest to many communities. Etoys could be a focus
> in terms of medium. As for content, certainly interested in what you all
> have been working on in the OLPC Health wiki, as well as texts such as Where
> There Is No Doctor. Hoping to pair public health professionals with
> programmers in order to get a sort of arsenal of courseware built up over
> the next month or two.
> Please join us to brainstorm, via Skype:
> Tuesday, June 22nd
> 4pm EST
> My handle is notonfriday. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate
> to email (or Skype).
> Hope to see you then!
> Beth Santos
>
> ---
> Beth Santos
> Outreach Coordinator
> Waveplace Foundation
>
> Tel: +1 610 797 3100 x 44
> Fax: +1 610 797 3199
> Cell: +1 603 661 1273
> http://www.waveplace.org

Thanks for organizing this. Due to the time I wont be able to attend
this, however would be very interested to read the notes/minutes
Many people in the community worked very hard sometime back to put
together a group dedicated to Public Health and there were some very
good things that came out of it.
Would be great to revive activity on this front

Regards
Arjun

--
Arjun Sarwal