[Health] Tuesday, 4pm EST - Public Health Curricula on the XO

Beth Santos beth at waveplace.org
Sun Jun 20 15:00:54 EDT 2010

Hi all,

An open invitation to join us in a *brainstorming session* about how we can
*use the XO to promote public health *across the greater OLPC community.
Waveplace <http://www.waveplace.org> and a few other interested public
health professionals, teachers and programmers are teaming up to make some
more educational content that can be used to teach kids various public
health initiatives (HIV/AIDS prevention, malaria, sanitation, anatomy,
nutrition, etc) using programs, puzzles and other learning tools on their
XOs.

Waveplace primarily uses Etoys <http://www.squeakland.org>, building ten
structured lessons on Etoys for each subject unit. The idea is to build
enough content so that teachers feel comfortable using the XOs in the
classroom, and I think public health would be a fabulous realm of interest
to many communities. Etoys could be a focus in terms of medium. As for
content, certainly interested in what you all have been working on in the OLPC
Health wiki <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Health>, as well as texts such as Where
There Is No Doctor <http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php>.
Hoping to pair public health professionals with programmers in order to get
a sort of arsenal of courseware built up over the next month or two.

*Please join us to brainstorm, via Skype:*
*Tuesday, June 22nd*
*4pm EST*

My handle is notonfriday. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate
to email (or Skype).

Hope to see you then!

Beth Santos

---