[Health] Sanitation / clean water topics

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 19:56:10 EDT 2010

Hi...
Nice resources.  I looked over several. Some would work for us, some wouldn't.  I notice that the data in the UNESCO materials is a bit out of date. I wonder if more recent numbers are available.
In looking at the water and sanitation data from UNESCO, it seems that Sanitation is the greater problem, so perhaps we should start with that one?  One of the graphs even shows a couple of western European countries as being behind in sanitation progress... Italy and Portugal.  Of course, the data is out of date, but it could still be a problem.
A couple of things to add to the Water list...  the Water Cycle,  Water distribution methods (private wells, shared public wells, municipal water systems, etc.)?
I also found a lind to things already on the OLPC wiki:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Water_and_sanitation
(some links on the page are out of date) It was put up in July 2008 by a Robert Steiner, Executive Director (of what?). I glanced through the Health mailing list and did not find him listed at all.  Still... we may be re-inventing the wheel. Maybe we should see if we can find out who he is and if anything has come of his project.
Caryl
BTW, I assume you have heard about the gasoline additive, MTBE, polluting drinking water in the USA?
http://www.waterwebster.com/MTBE.htm