[Health] Sanitation / clean water topics

Beth Santos beth at waveplace.org
Tue Aug 31 16:28:52 EDT 2010

Hey all,
*
Here are some additional ideas for sanitation/water lesson structures. I
also found some awesome material on the UNICEF and water.org websites--
lesson plans that we may be able to incorporate into our curriculum.

You can download those at
http://teachunicef.org/explore/topic/water-and-sanitation
and
http://water.org/learn-about-the-water-crisis/lessonplan/

Beth
*
*
*Sanitation*

   1. Intro: What is sanitation and why is it important?
   2. Who, What, When, Where, Why and How to wash your hands
   3. How to make soap
   4. What to do if you get diarrhea
   5. Proper disposal of human waste
   6. How to make a safe latrine
   7. Rehydration... how to

*Water*

   1. Intro to water: different types of water, saltwater vs freshwater,
   potable vs unpotable water
   2. Is "dirty" water always bad and "clean" water always good?
   3. What's in the water that you can and can't see that can hurt you
   4. How can you purify water?
   5. How to make a solar still
   6. Other ways to get safe water without burning up the rainforest to do
   it
   7. Water and the environment- what human activity does to water resources
   and why

---
*Beth Santos*
Outreach Coordinator