[Health] Introductions to Health Digest

Beth Santos beth at waveplace.org
Mon Aug 23 12:13:39 EDT 2010

Jennifer,

Looks like it might be a great opportunity to team up with Sandra and Dari
on an HIV/AIDS program for the XO. They seem to be making some progress
using Etoys...

Beth

---
*Beth Santos*
Outreach Coordinator
Waveplace Foundation

Tel: +1 610 797 3100 x 44
Fax: +1 610 797 3199
Cell: +1 603 661 1273
http://www.waveplace.org

Waveplace on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Waveplace/270512992335?ref=ts>
Twitter: @waveplace <http://twitter.com/waveplace>

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Jennifer DeBoer
<deboer.jennifer at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am happy to hear about so much interest in this group!  My name is
> Jennifer DeBoer, and I am currently a graduate student in education policy.
> I am interested in the use of technology in resource-deficient areas, so
> OLPC is a major area of interest for me.  I started getting involved in 2007
> when I began looking into the possibility of an HIV/AIDS learning activity
> for children in rural Mozambique (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Jumpbean).
>

> I have made a start at the activity that I want to beta-test this winter,
> but I am still struggling through the creation of a workable product.  I
> would love to contribute by offering my perspective from the educational
> research and international development side of things, and I would love to
> get support in finishing this first activity and continuing to develop
> better interventions for health and education!
>
> Best,
>
> Jennifer
>

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM, AJ Kumar <aj.kumar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Another late self-intro.  I'm a graduate student working on low-cost
>> medical devices for the developing world and hoping to somehow get a thesis
>> out of it.  I don't have a ton of IT or XO experience. I was a Peace Corps
>> volunteer in rural South Africa from 2007-2009 and worked in the education
>> sector there.  While there, I was also the village computer dude and worked
>> a lot on fixing up computers and teaching some basic classes.
>>
>> I'm not sure where I'll fit in best but I'll try to contribute when I can
>> to any areas that help is needed.
>>
>> -A.J.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:50 PM, Chris Watkins <
>> chriswaterguy at appropedia.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks. A late self-intro - I'm a water and sanitation engineer by
>>> training, but my main work and interest is in knowledge sharing, i.e.
>>> building a knowledge bank on Appropedia.org, for all manner of info about
>>> development and sustainability, including water, sanitation and public
>>> health among many other topics.
>>>
>>> So, I'm not sure exactly what's planned, but I'd be happy to lend a hand
>>> to Randy and Caryl on water/sanitation.
>>>
>>> I also assume that any content that is created is under an open license,
>>> and hope that it's put somewhere where it will be well indexed, findable,
>>> and usable - naturally I'm thinking of Appropedia :-).
>>>
>>> Chris

>>> --
>>> Chris Watkins
>>>
>>> Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.
>>>
>>> blogs.appropedia.org
>>> community.livejournal.com/appropedia
>>> identi.ca/appropedia