[Health] [announce] Volunteer / deployment matching program

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Thu Feb 5 20:51:38 EST 2009

OLE Bolivia is glad to share the intention to start a program to match
interested volunteers with ICT programs overseas and within the USA.

The intention is to facilitate the process of bringing together the
needs and availability of OLPC deployments and those using other
platforms everywhere, to better make use of the talents and willingness
of enthusiastic people to dedicate their time and efforts to make a
difference.

Yama Ploskonka will be heading this program, using his experience within
the ICCP program of the YMCA of Greater New York, a program that brings
about 3.000 foreign camp counselors to the USA every year while sending
about 600 American volunteers abroad.

As has been pointed out recently (ref. Bryan Berry presentations)
something like this needs to be a serious, specialized commitment.  The
current structure of OLPC is quite clearly not able to handle the
hundreds of offers of volunteers in a timely and effective way, thus a
"spin off" to an independent organization seems to make the most sense.
  Since OLE Bolivia by its very nature is platform-independent, while
keeping firm links with the OLPC community, we might be better able to
help here while putting to advantage previous experience in the field of
international volunteer work.

Comments welcome, as we still need to get some of our act together
before we can actually launch.

--
Yama Ploskonka
Executive Director