[Health] GNUmed for OLPC

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sat May 3 14:07:39 EDT 2008

Sebastian,

Welcome aboard!

A great way to catch up on what's currently going on in the OLPC Health
Project(s) is to start over on the wiki (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Health)
and also look over other pages tagged as being health-related (
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Health).  Information flow is often a mix
of messages to this list, wiki-page creation and editing and even IRC chat
on #olpc-health.

GNUmed's status as open-source, and specifically being coded in Python could
make it a good fit for use on the XO platform, although as you mention, it
is an open question of whether EMR software is matched to a need at
deployment sites, at least right now.  There are others interested in making
an electronic medical record systems available (see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WorldVistA), and I'm sure they would welcome
discussion about GNUmed and electronic medical records in general.

I hope you chose to stick around get involved with OLPC Health Project
efforts, either with GNUmed specifically or with joining in on some other
coding or content effort, because I think that the health-related work can
use as much input from cross-trained (health and IT) contributors as
possible.  I also think that activity (application) development will have a
lot to add to just a collection of textual content for the health library.

My own interest at the moment is on building up that library and making it
easier for others (especially health/science subject matter experts) to
contribute.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Cjl
cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com