[Health] Lancet Student podcast: HIFA2015 and the HIFA 2008 Challenge

Kennedy Onyango edteckenya at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 03:21:04 EDT 2008

Dear Neil and All,

  Thanks alot for the good initiatives, you are undertaking to improve access to health information in the remote and unserved rural communities all over the world. I am working with grassroot communities in the Lake-Victoria region, Kenya. I am coming to UK in July for the PCF5 www.col.org/pcf5 to present a paper on the Role of Technology in Enhancing Livelihood Support Options. I am interested in meeting and discussing the project with you. Kindly respond.

  Regards,

  Kennedy

Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
          On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Neil Pakenham-Walsh, UK
<neil.pakenham-walsh at ghi-net.org> wrote:
> Dear HIFA2015 colleagues,
>
> The Lancet Student website has produced a special feature on the HIFA2015
> Campaign. This is available as a podcast: an audio MP3 file that you can
> listen to directly online and/or download to your PC or MP3 player.
>
> Medical student and Lancet intern, Rob Hughes, is joined by medical
> students Abi Smith (deputy chair, BMA International Committee; Global
> Health Education coordinator, Medsin*) and Gemma Owens (President,
> Medsin), and Neil Pakenham-Walsh (co-ordinator of the HIFA2015 Campaign).
>
> We discuss progress and next steps for the HIFA2015 campaign, and the HIFA
> 2008 Challenge: Meeting the information needs of medical, nursing,
> midwifery and allied health students worldwide.
>
> The discussion is just under 20 minutes long and the MP3 file (17 Mb) is
> freely available at:
>
> http://www.thelancetstudent.com/2008/02/15/a-special-feature-on-the-hifa2015-network-and-a-catch-up-on-the-lancet-student/
>

> Best wishes,
> Neil
>
> Neil Pakenham-Walsh
> Coordinator, HIFA2015
>
> HIFA2015 profile: Neil Pakenham-Walsh is coordinator of the Global
> Healthcare Information Network, a non-profit organization that administers
> the 'Healthcare Information For All by 2015' campaign (www.hifa2015.org).
> He has a special interest in the availability and use of relevant,
> reliable healthcare information in developing countries, especially at
> primary and district levels.

This is wonderful. We need to coordinate among a number of other
groups that are working on various parts of the problem. Let me
introduce some of you to each other. I have introduced some of you
before, but now we have a new group of friends and future colleagues
to meet.

One Laptop Per Child considers itself primarily an education project,
but by placing computers in schools worldwide in large quantities it
also enables every other kind of information-based program. OLPC has a
health project which aims to make existing Free/Open Source health
software available on its XO laptop and XS school server. This
includes OpenVistA, a national-scale software system for hospitals and
clinics with more than 200 applications, such as pharmacy, medical
records, and so on. It also includes a project proposed for Google
Summer of Code (GSOC) to create a low-cost EKG system using the
existing Measure activity on the XO. Measure functions as a digital
oscilloscope. The EKG project will look at ways to gather and analyze
multiple data streams, in addition to the hardware development. A
prototype exists. More information on FOSS healthcare software is
available through the Southern California Linux Expo conference
schedule, http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale6x/conference-info/schedules/

Earth Treasury means to connect schools around the world, and teach
the students how to go into business together. Healthcare providers
are included.

OneVillage Foundation grew out of an AIDS project in Africa, and is
now working on an Open Digital Village concept as one of the most
effective ways to deal with health issues and much more. It has
computer education and wireless projects in several countries. OVF is
also working on creating a Free/Open Source Hardware community to
bring the various existing projects together.

Engineers Without Borders Australia is interested in community
data-gathering and management projects, including Geographic
Information Systems (GIS), that is, mapping of data. Some of the
applications to public health are obvious.

Tim Foresman is a geographer, chairman of the Fifth International
Symposium on Digital Earth, and a leading force in applying GIS to
development.

Partners in Health is provides outstanding and highly innovative
health care services to about a million Haitians, and has expanded
into Latin America, Africa, and Russia.

I don't have any contacts at Doctors Without Borders. Can somebody
pass this on to them and invite them to join the discussion? Who else
should be involved?

We seem to have a problem. We can see that we all have reasons to work
together, but we have no common meeting place, and I expect that most
of us are on too many mailing lists and Wikis already. ^_^

> He qualified as a doctor in 1983 and worked
> for 6 years in NHS hospital medicine, including 2 years in paediatrics. In
> 1990 he moved into medical publishing and worked with the World Health
> Organization, Medicine Digest, and the Wellcome Trust CD-ROM series
> 'Topics in International Health'.

Tell me more. OLPC would like to be able to distribute this content,
and to create more content for health education at every level.

> From 1996 to 2004 he developed and
> managed the INASP-Health programme (International Network for the
> Availability of Scientific Publications)

That's another vital topic for OLPC.

> and the eForum, HIF-net (Health
> Information Forum). He has worked as a medical officer in rural Ecuador
> and Peru,

Do you know about the OLPC deployment in Perù?

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/

__._,_.___   Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

  Visit Your Group
      Yahoo! News
  Fashion News
  What's the word on
  fashion and style?

    Do-It-Yourselfers
  Find Y! Groups
  on Lawn & garden,
  homes and autos.

    Find Balance
  on Yahoo! Groups
  manage nutrition,
  activity & well-being.

  .

  Kennedy Edwine,
  Director -EDTEC,
  P.O. Box 337, Mbita-Kenya.
  http://kennedyonyango.tripod.com
  http://www.flashbuilder.net/users/edtec/main.html
  +254-0728211759 (Cell)
  +25405922427 (Office)
  +25405922427 (Fax)

    "You never know till you try to reach them how accessible men are; but you must approach each man by the right door."