[Health] [Grassroots-l] Health Jam 2008

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Tue Apr 29 16:44:07 EDT 2008

Hi Guys,

Thanks Bryan for the plug. Looks like I need to sign up for another list
:-)  I added my self to Health list.

I'm maxed out but can try to add some project planning focus if people
find it helpful.

The first step is to find a user. In this case that is probably a health
care worker near an XO school. Without a user you don't have well
defined requirements and its hard to know if you are building the right
thing.

Maybe someone on the list already lives near an XO school and knows what
health care challenges people are facing...

I also saw this site go up recently. Maybe someone can reach out to
them: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC-Bangalore

At the same time you reach out to a user, evaluate the capacity of the
group to deliver. You don't want to promise anything you can't deliver.
That's especially true in health care where if you have a bug or don't
come through, peoples health is on the line.

Then ask the user what they need, what their concerns are and what their
biggest challenges are. Then come up with a proposal on how to address
it and run it by the users.

Enumerated steps:

1 - Find real user ready to communicate and work with you.
2 - Line up volunteers and evaluate group skills and time.
3 - Discuss with user the key challenges and pick one or two you want to
address.
4 - Come up with a design proposal and validate with users.
5 - Code up a prototype or working example.
6 - Run beta test, refine and gather feedback.
7 - Deliver code and give great support in the early going.

That's my 2 cents. Maybe you already have steps 1 and 2 done?

If so put the info in the wiki and send out a link. We need to hear from
a real health care worker who also has access to kids using Xos. The
more voluble they are the better! Doesn't have to be a Bryan-class
communicator but needs to be ready to e-mail and give lots of feedback.

HTHs.

I've seen lots of e-mails about the health project so my impression is
that you have many capable people working on it already. I don't mean to
jump in mid-stream or impugn any existing work. It's a great project but
I'm squeamish so I have never worked on anything close to wetware :-)

I look forward to learning more about it.

Thanks,

Greg S

Message: 2