[Health] [hifa2015] Map of Medicine trials in sub-Saharan Africa [2]

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 17:04:39 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Miriam Adhikari, South Africa
<HIFA2015 at dgroups.org> wrote:
> Dear Bruce
>
>  Can you email a copy of a map?

Yes, I and a number of my friends would like that too. I am copying
GIS (Geographical Information Systems) expert Tim Foresman on this. He
can connect you with more people in the community who can help or can
use your information. I am also copying this to One Laptop Per Child,
Engineers Without Borders, and the Black Data Processing Association,
all of which have a strong interest in creating and using such
information resources. One Laptop Per Child is sending 10,000 or more
computers to Rwanda and Ethiopia this year, and is in discussions with
education ministries and others in government all over Africa and
around the world.

I would personally love to see a variety of other health maps, such as

* bird migrations in China overlaid on swine, chicken and human flu
outbreaks over time
* River Blindness risk, incidence and treatment, with any indications
of resistance to medications among the worms responsible
* HIV-AIDS incidence and trends along with various government and
other education and prevention programs, and risk factors such as sex
slavery
* TB, including Multi-Drug Resistant TB, correlated with public health
spending and government policies
* Malaria correlated with bed net distribution and medication programs
* Availability and cost of medicines for these and other endemic
diseases of the poor correlated with patent and manufacturing data

I'm sure that anybody here can add extensively to this list. For each
of these, the first question is, who has any data? And then we have
the whole process of aggregating data, cleaning it, mapping it, and
making the maps publicly available to other researchers and to the
public. Then we can ask how to gather better data, and what to do
about the problems revealed in the maps.

All of this goes back to John Snow's mapping of cholera cases in
London in the 1854. He found that the distribution peaked around a
public pump near a disused cesspit. When the local council ordered the
pump handle removed, the epidemic subsided rapidly, although there is
some question whether it had already begun to subside due to residents
fleeing the area.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/