[OLPC-GSoC] Introduction - Neural Networks Activity

Brett Graham brettgraham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:50:32 EDT 2008

Hi, My name is Brett Graham. I am a Neuroscience PhD student at the
University of Delaware (USA) studying midbrain visual processing using
both computational modelling and electrophysiology. I started
programming 4 years ago and have written several programs in Pascal,
C++, Java, and most recently Python. These programs have included:
- several instructional labs (for a Sensation & Perception class that I teach)
- data capture and analysis programs (both gui and command-line)
- neuron modelling libraries (including simulation and visualization libraries)
- stimulus presentation programs (mostly using openGL)

I am interested in the following projects (in no particular order):
- adding annotation & ui configuration for the 'read' activity
(specifically making the game-keys configurable to improve the e-book
mode)
- 'measure' activity development (triggering, and other enhancements
listed on the SOC ideas page)
- an introduction to neurons (and networks) activity (including single
neurons, networks, simulated retinal processing & receptive field
mapping using the camera as an 'eye', possibly small neural controlled
'bugs' that move around and seek out 'food')

These are a few of the ideas I've been thinking about. However, I am
primarily interested in helping out wherever I can fit in! If anyone
out there has suggestions or comments please let me know.

I am particularly curious to know if anyone in the community thinks
that a neurons and networks activity would be useful for the XO.

--
Thanks.
Brett Graham