[OLPC-GSoC] SoC activity development

Austin Appel scorche15 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 18:12:02 EDT 2008

Wade Brainerd wrote:
> What about treating several of the proposed activities as a one large
> project?  We would create a SoC "activity team" of 4-8 students and
> 2-3 mentors, and then have these students develop several of the
> activity ideas over the summer.

Google Summer of Code simply does not work like that.  This is for many
good reasons such as:

Students being reliant on another student's work does not end well if
something happens to the other student.
Issues always arise about Xxxxx Xxxxx not doing "their fair share" or
one superstar student doing almost everything.
Delays while waiting for collaborators.
Dividing up money fairly.

This really isn't an option at all, as it is against Google's whole
vision of GSoC and how it should work.