[OLPC-GSoC] GSoC update (Monday)

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:37:02 EDT 2008

Dear list,

We have 75 people subscribed to the gsoc list so far; thanks to all those
who have introduced themselves.  Don't be shy about using this list for
anything related to gsoc, including asking questions that you are sure are
answered /somewhere/ but that you couldn't find.  [I've had troule finding
things on the main gsoc site today myself.]

We have eight confirmed mentors and a similar number pending confirmation.
Scorche and others recommend having more than 1 mentor available per
student; we could still use another dozen or so mentors.   And 60% of our
mentors are currently from the US; we could use more Spanish speakers.

It is ok to offer to mentor students only within a specific interest; please
mention this on http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Summer_of_Code when you apply to
mentor.

We could use more mentors specifically for projects integrating with sugar,
networking and other core services -- many students have been applying to
create their own standalone code or activities from scratch, but that does
not give them much of a chance to learn about collaborating on a larger
project.

Mentor application : http://code.google.com/soc/2008/mentor_step1.html
Student application : http://code.google.com/soc/2008/student.html

SJ