[OLPC-GSoC] Weekly update : Integration of Speech Synthesis in Sugar Environment

Hemant Goyal goyal.hemant at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 12:15:10 EDT 2008

Hi all,

The last couple of days saw some heavy learning and application of UNIX File
System permissions and exploration of security issues with setuid. (This is
the moment when I realize that my project was supposed to be packaging and
reading/writing to a file :P).

Specifically:

   1. I released and discarded many version of the speech-dispatcher package
   specifically meant for OLPC laptop to remove all unneeded dependencies on
   pulse, nas, flite etc.
   2. I reviewed and approved another package in Fedora community. Quite a
   nice moment to approve another package when I was struggling to get my own
   speech-dispatcher package approved a month ago :).
   3. Continued fixing issues with python-dotconf package.
   4. Finally managed to make the speech-dispatcher daemon run as non-root.
   This means that we dont need to make sugar-control-panel non-root and can
   easily read/write to the configuration files of speech-dispatcher. After
   some extensive testing of the speech-dispatcher RPM, I will proceed to the
   designing of the sugar-control-panel UI for speech synthesis
   settings(finally :P).

I have not made an update on my User Page till now (will do so soon enough).

Anyways I'd just like to take a moment to thank Simon and Tomeu for all the
guidance and encouragement! Kudos to both of you ;)

Best,
Hemant