[OLPC-GSoC] Congratulations to the winners - and to the rest

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:03:55 EDT 2008

Thank you to everyone who applied; we had roughly 35 great applications this
year, all of which will receive laptops via our developer's program.  I've
also proposed that OLPC fund some of the other top-ranked applications, and
a few of you have been asked about taking on an OLPC internships instead.

The application and discussion process has been great for brainstorming, and
for matching potential mentors with coding experience with new developers --
this has been the best part of the month so far for me.  Within OLPC, we
have spent many fruitful evenings discussing where some of the proposed
activities or projects fall within the framework of existing efforts (some
of the results of which have made their way to the list).

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Jameson Chema Quinn <jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu>
wrote:

> Of course, the automatic dev program enrollment and laptop would be great,
> and if actual internships are in the offing that would be great too; but I
> am talking here about some official title/award (words for your resume) for
> those that complete a project off some list of "we agree, this is a great
> idea, and we have a mentor for you". (This is not just a hint for my own
> benefit - actually, as an older student, this would be less important for me
> than what I imagine it would be for the younger students with good
> projects).

I couldn't agree more :)  We are setting up such a program, specially for
the great activity proposals, which we hope will become more common over the
course of the year and not only in summertime; stay tuned.

SJ