[Grassroots-l] [support-gang] [IAEP] volunteer translators needed

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:29:01 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Caroline Meeks <caroline at solutiongrove.com
> wrote:

> Hi Tim and Beth,
>
> We are training a group of volunteers from the Haitian Coalition in Etoys
> tomorrow.  We have some practice at teaching Etoys at this point.
>
> How/what would you like me to teach them about translating?
>
> What is the minimum they need to know to start helping you?
>
> Thanks,
> Caroline

Caroline,

Here are my thoughts (from a L10n process perspective), although Tim or Beth
can speak  for Waveplace.

Haitian Kreyol Project on Pootle
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ht/

eToys itself needs more work
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ht/etoys_new/

Waveplace lesson templates for malaria and geometry are available here.
(Basic eToys is there, but already translated).
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/ht/Waveplace/

Check the Waveplace Courseware wiki page to see if any more templates are
available, I think I've got most of them on Pootle now.

The PO files are easily converted to text with po2txt from Translate Toolkit

Quoting from:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Pootle_Projects#Waveplace_Lessons

 Waveplace Lessons

These are outlines and materials for Waveplace lessons using eToys.

There are two very important elements of *context* that should be kept in
mind when localizing these materials.

1. Each PO file is only part of an overall 10-week lesson plan. You should
familiarize yourself with the entire set of materials related to the module
you are localizing by reviewing it at the link below.

http://wiki.waveplace.org/display/wp/Courseware

2. Many of the directions in these lessons use terms that have specific
meaning in eToys or refer to commands / menu items in eToys. You should make
sure that the translation of those terms is consistent with the way they are
localized in eToys itself to avoid confusion. This can easily be done by
searching those terms in the eToys Pootle project.

cjl