[Grassroots-l] What's up with OLPCorps?

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Tue Mar 10 13:20:36 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:

> The folks over at OLPCnews and I just had a quick conversation and they
> asked if it would be okay to cover the discussion we've just started on
> this thread.

That's not a bad idea.  On the other hand, the most powerful effect
that an OLPCnews post has is sometimes to draw aggressive posters or
commenters...
If your goal is to encourage more public discussion, starting off with
a flame war may not help much.

> (Don't let this distract you from the work you have to do to get this
> program to exist, though! I'm hoping the time investment in "working
> with the community" will pay off as people find ways to pitch in and
> help you make this happen in a stronger way.)

How about starting with ideas and suggestions on the OLPCorps wiki pages?
 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:OLPCorps_Africa
 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:OLPCorps_Africa_FAQ

> PS: I've gotten a number of private emails since this thread started,
> and they're full of great insights - I'd love to see some of those
> thoughts shared with this list as well. Don't leave me standing
> awkwardly alone here. ;)

Ditto; the wiki is also a good place to share thoughts that don't seem
appropriate for the list.

SJ