[Grassroots-l] Introducing XO Kids

Yama Ploskonka yama at netoso.com
Mon Feb 23 01:14:25 EST 2009

A while back I had a conversation with Adam and SJ, and this idea came
to me, about a TV show whose theme would be super-children, the XO Kids.

Sort of Spy Kids 3 meets CJ7 meets Teletubbies, and all together in
Sesame Street ...

I kept going slowly.

Providentially a nephew of mine and a couple of his fellows are
published comic magazine authors with a name already, despite being only
14 years old ... They accepted to do a few drafts, available at

http://xokids.com

Publishing a comic is a lot cheaper to do than a TV show, but I am
already in contact with a producer and great friend in Uruguay seeing
possibilities for filming.

I left total creative freedom to the artists, so I do not know exactly
where they are going to carry the story (my sister tells me they're
doing a couple of plates per week), but the storyline is basically about
this group of children encountering some anthropomorphic XOs (we decided
that these came from an underground civilization that had its origins
when a spacecraft collided with the Earth many years ago).  The children
in this encounter gain super-powers and become friends with the XOs, and
together live many adventures. (an obvious superpower is to be able to
communicate using the mesh ... a fantasy world :-))

The adventures obviously have a strong educational component, with a
special section in each magazine. Side note: my knowledge of
hydroponics, which indirectly got me tenure in Montevideo years ago,
began with a Donald Duck magazine where the nephews used this
technology, so I can attest to the potential of comics to introduce
valuable ideas.

Another element that I want to add is interactivity, a website where
children can not only find the stories, but live virtual adventures
where kids themselves are the protagonists.

Now seeking funding to publish the first issue, and to try out some
ideas on the web, and ideally even support a pilot for television. If
any of you have contact with any company or advertising, please connect us!

Yamandu
uncle to 'Plosko', one of the authors of XO Kids

BTW, I had to wait until mid February to pick up xokids.com, as only
then was it coming available.  .net and .org are available now.  Maybe
someone friendly should fetch them.