[Grassroots-l] The Information Train

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Feb 22 16:00:02 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Eduardo H. Silva
<hoboprimate at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would be nice if these videos where also uploaded in formats and to
> places where the XO can view them natively, for example as a ogg
> theora video to the internet archive (archive.org), but there is also
> another place which name I cant remember right now, a kind of
> alternative to youtube.

I think you were referring to Dailymotion. http://www.dailymotion.com/

The cat and mouse game of codecs will keep this problem open ended. I
like what Ubuntu does with codecs. Shipping certain codecs is
questionable, so it provides a pointer and asks the user to download
it via Synaptic (in fact asks for permission and then does the rest of
it automatically). On Sugar, no matter what, unless you have the
codecs, you'll miss out on a certain subset of media. A sugarized
wrapper to something that allows you to download different codecs
would be nice (i.e. hide the yum stuff behind a pretty UI).

Sameer