[Grassroots-l] Secure cabinet for XO's

Daniel Bennett dantana at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 05:48:34 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I have a quick request that I'm hoping someone can help me with.  I'm
working on a deployment in Eastern Nigeria until the end of the month and
I'm working on a solution to the electricity problem.  By this, I don't mean
the large problem of how do we supply enough power to support 100 XO's, an
XS, access points, and VSAT.  I've been working on that problem for months
:).

However, I have a vague memory of coming across pictures of (and perhaps
even plans for) a secure (i.e. locking) cabinet for storing and safely
charging  XO's.  We would like to minimize the risk of both electric shock
and theft at our school.

However, since arriving here I have literally spent a few hours scouring the
internet for this resource and I am beginning to think that I imagined it.

I did manage to find Ram's plan's for OLE Nepal's cabinets, but we have
different requirements.

Charging Laptops, not Electrocuting Kids: The XO Charging Rack:
http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/254

I believe that Nepal is a predominately Buddhist country.  My experience has
been that people just don't steal things in Buddhist countries.  Nigeria is
not a Buddhist country.  We need security.

I had all but given up and decided to just use Ram's design as a starting
point and improvise the security portion when I realized that there is a
huge community of people who might be able to help me!

Anyone have any hot tips for me?

They'd be much appreciated!

Thanks, and best from Jimeta, Nigeria!
-Dan