[Grassroots-l] personal Re: Experience w/ using GPS with XO laptops

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 03:24:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Jeff Mascornick <jjm4114 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thank you Steve!
> I am wondering about the LINUX based XO - I'm part of a team applying to
> deploy XOs to Tanzania and we are looking into incorporating GPS for
> cultural exchange/learning, environmental education and/or some other
> purposes.
>
> So, if anyone has info on using any GPS on Linux based XOs, please let me
> know.

That's a complicated question. There is plenty of GPS and GIS software
in the Linux world. Running graphical software under Sugar requires a
rewrite.

If you can make use of gpsd, the GPS daemon, within any existing Sugar
software, you are good.

Another possibility is to wait for Sugar to include Gnome. At that
point most graphical Linux software will become usable. I am copying
this to the Sugar Development list for an opinion on when that might
happen. Since you are asking about getting software onto the XO, you
should probably join that list.

> (Also, what our team may do is get Windows PCs for each of the
> classrooms where ArcMap is used [since this may be the easiest way] and the
> children could incorporate their XOs once the end result of the project is
> on a website.)

Test whether your PC app will run under Wine.

> Anyway, I am asking about Linux based possibilities.

Hope this helps.

> Thanks
>
> Jeff Mascornick, MA
> Research Assistant
> Center for Community Research & Service
> School of Urban Affairs and Public Policy University of Delaware
> jjm4114 at yahoo.com
> (302)547-5952 (c)

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)