[Grassroots-l] More onelaptops

JFC jcoyne8 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 18:18:09 EDT 2008

Sir or Madam

I purchased one of the onelaptops and received it
after the discontinuance of the program.  I had hoped
with the financial assistance of a local foundation
and some community organizations to purchase some
additional units for use by the local elementary
school’s program called the Reedsport Community
Learning Center (RCLC).   Another idea was to put them
in the local library and permit students to “check
them out.”  I have gone to your web page several times
to see if there is a current program which would
permit additional purchases.  I do see the work with
the states program that you are working on.

Thus this note to you.  Is there a secondary market
that you are aware of where we could buy some
additional machines?

Then to explain why I am going about trying to get the
onelaptop computers rather than a more conventional
route with, I will call them, usual computers.

	-	our community is in a population decline over the
last twenty years (population loss in the 1990’s was
14.1%)
	-	the loss of lumber jobs, many of the fishing jobs
have severely impacted all income levels.  It appears
there will be another round of fishing restrictions
	-	1/4th of Douglas County children live in extreme
poverty
	-	the percentage of working families below the
poverty level is twice that of a generation ago (9.6%)
(the same figure for the population is 16%)
	-	as of the most recent studies 13.6% of the
population is uninsured as to health

The economic impact on the region is severe and
options are few.  We are poor and the other option is
not really available

I look forward to hearing from you.

Joe Coyne