[Grassroots-l] organisation, olpc_europe, etc. (was: Fwd: [Olpcaustria-intern] What we talked about last week...)

Kristijan Fabina kristijan.fabina at hrfreenet.net
Thu Mar 6 08:48:36 EST 2008

Aaron, Simon,

I personally agree with you and I think my collegues from OLPC Croatia agree
as well. We should start with that web portal/blog as soon as possible and
make it like a real community portal. In parallel we should all have a
meeting somewhere in April (Austria?) so we can discuss about concrete staff
when we meet face to face. I belive we would be more productive if our
development and other teams work together on particular/concrete projects
regarding the pilot projects in this year in some countries.

Also, I don't think we should work on the OLPC Europe structure before
someone from OLPC (prof. Negroponte?) says that it's ok and good idea. If
they don't support that idea - then it's worthless. Does anyone have a
concrete answer on that question?

Kristijan
- OLPC Croatia

2008/3/6, Aaron Kaplan <aaron at lo-res.org>:

> Hi!
>
> With all the discussion of olpc europe, how groups should get
> organized etc.... here is something to read and ponder about.
> We met in person for dinner (thx Helga!) and had to discuss a few
> things face to face.
> Amongst them the argument between me and Chris about something called
> olpc_europe which is not even clearly defined yet, but which was
> already announced prematurely on heise.de (biggest IT related news
> source in all german speaking countries).
>
> So the whole group came together and he had this consensus finding
> process.
> In the end we arrived at the following... (interesting to read!)
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Simon Dorner <office at simondorner.com>
> > Date: March 4, 2008 6:58:29 PM GMT+01:00
> > To: olpc intern <olpcaustria-intern at tema.lo-res.org>
> > Subject: [Olpcaustria-intern] What we talked about last week...
> >
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > So this is what i condensed out of our discussion last week:
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> > As some of you might have noticed we at OLPC Austria had a quite
> > heated discussion about OLPC Europe last week. Eventually the debate
> > turned out to be worthwhile and we kind of reached a consensus on
> > what we suggest for OLPC Europe. I agreed to sum up our current
> > thinking and send it out like this.
> >
> > We think that OLPC Europe is moving a bit too fast and it needs time
> > to evolve more out of a number of strong local groups. The focus
> > should be to build and support those local groups first. Therefore we
> > suggest that for the time being OLPC Europe should not yet be a fully
> > defined and structured legal entity but rather a simple web platform
> > for people to get information about what's happening in their and
> > other countries. There are two concrete things that we suggest:
> >
> > 1: Let's create an OLPC Europe web site that consists of an
> > aggregated blog of all the individual European groups. Every group
> > that wants to join sets up a simple blog and all their news gets
> > added to the main blog via RSS. That would be a great resource for
> > everyone and is enough for now.
> > 2: We think that as long as OLPC Europe is just that, an aggregated
> > blog with a common motto, it is absolutely crucial that everyone
> > agrees not to use OLPC Europe as a means to generate funding. That
> > (along with some basic info text on the web site) must be in the
> > small print and has to be agreed to in order to join. Money would
> > bring chaos without the right structure - and it's really way too
> > early to talk about that structure.
> >
> > OLPC Europe as a structured legal entity can be founded when the time
> > is right and the need for it and broad consensus are there. We also
> > think that in order to create a legal organisation we should all meet
> > in person and talk.
> >
> > But first let's all get some work done locally. What do you think?

> --
> [...]

Kristijan Fabina
Predsjednik HRFreeNeta
GSM: +385 99 621 0000