[Grassroots-l] Volunteer opportunities -- Simple solutions

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 02:29:44 EDT 2008

The easiest way to organize and stimulate the development of volunteer
groups would be to make it much easier to get XO's, particularly for
working educators and small, small pilots. It is still painfully
difficult to get them, particularly in small quantities.

It would be quite difficult to see volunteer groups starting up w/out
any access to XO's. A community site would be nice but it won't address
the difficulties of putting XO's in small #s in the hands of talented
educators.

There are good organizations in almost every country w/ experience in IT
and education. Those organizations could get involved if they could
easily get XO's. Most countries don't need to start a OLE Nepal from
scratch, they have existing NGO's that can do the job.

The OLPC volunteer should model itself after the Moodle community, which
is characterized by working educators and techies who work for
educational institutions. Currently, the OLPC community has lots of
young and talented people w/ limited to no field education experience.
The OLPC community needs leadership from experienced educators. Sadly,
while there is a "Developer" program that gives out XO's, there isn't a
similar "Educator" program. Even then, working educators would need to
have a classful of XO's to see them in action.

People like Mel Chua and Alex Keybl need guidance from working educators
for them to be truly effective. We have 3 working educators working
full-time on OLPC in Nepal and they make all the difference in the
world.

<rant>
In general, there seems to be a lot of organizing going on in OLPC-land
but limited useful output for the pilot countries. People want to be
part of a community that makes useful stuff. A community needs to define
its outputs and put timelines on them to create useful outputs. I don't
see such a planning process in the OLPC community, just an ad hoc free
for all. Virtually all successful open-source projects have timelines,
milestones, and feature specifications for their releases.

I would love to see the community define a set of activities and content
bundles that need to be improved or created and then set deadlines to
get that work done. Then they organize folks to get the work done on
time.
</rant>

Message: 1