[Grassroots-l] [laptop.org #14765] Volunteer opportunities

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Fri Jun 27 21:06:31 EDT 2008

Hi Edward,

"Edward Cherlin" <echerlin at gmail.com> writes:

>> For deployment of XOs in french speaking countries, this is surely a
>> task where OLPC HQ should somehow rely on OLPC France.
>
> Would that include Rwanda? Haiti? Cambodia? Trials in French Polynesia
> or Egypt?

This all depends two things: 1) whether schools still use french as a
teaching language and 2) whether the NGOs that AFUL and APRIL have
contacts with are working there.

For Haiti, Kreyol is the spoken language at school, but french is often
the written language they mostly deal with.  And I know at least one NGO
that is interested in helping education through XOs there.

I've not been in Rwanda, but I think french is in use in many schools.
French NGOs are not welcome there, except one I know (same as above).

I don't know about Cambodia.  I only know lawyers that have been there
with LWB (Lawyers Without Borders) and they told me they met people from
educational NGOs.

I don't know about French Polynesia.

About Egypt, french is only spoken in the few french schools that have
there.  I've been teaching in one of them for a few months, and on this
occasion I've met people from the french ambassy.  I think they'd be
glad if I can tell them more about the XO, if by any chance french
ambassy get his hands on the projects.

After Haïti and Rwanda, two of the largest places where OLPC France
could be useful is Senegal and Mali.  We have large french communities
of people from Senegal and Mali, they'd be glad to be part of the
deployment effort, and OLPC France would help drawing a bridge.

--
Bastien