[Grassroots-l] [laptop.org #14765] Volunteer opportunities

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Fri Jun 27 11:18:01 EDT 2008

Hi SJ and all,

"Samuel Klein" <sj at laptop.org> writes:

>  * we have a lot of low-hanging fruit to gather in terms of identifying NGO and
> University contacts by country, and helping them get involved / share local
> knowledge about how to get things done / sign up to host volunteers or give
> them projects to work on.

For deployment of XOs in french speaking countries, this is surely a
task where OLPC HQ should somehow rely on OLPC France.

Here in France, Free Software organizations like APRIL or AFUL already
have good contacts with educational-IT NGOs that might locally help with
the deployment of XOs -- both and the technical and pedagocial side.

OLPC France just applied to become a repair center.

We also applied to get XOs through the Developers Program.

And I really hope we will be able to be a repair center, because we have
many IT students waiting to be part of it; and I really hope we will be
able to get new XOs, as it will help us bring up new content in french,
both because of possible implementation in France and in the countries.
This will also help us convince NGOs working in the countries that we
can work together on this.

Having a community website is all good, but delegating part of the
"social implementation" to people who already deal with it might be
useful as well.

Thanks!

--
Bastien