[Grassroots-l] [Localization] [Fwd: Re: #7116 NORM Never A: Possible European G1G1 program needs appropriate keyboards]

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 00:11:49 EDT 2008

Sorry for so much cross-posting, but this affects us all.

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:59 PM, LASKE (or possibly LASKÉ), Lionel
(C2S) <LLASKE at c2s.fr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just to add my one cent on the "appropriate keyboard issue":

Merci beaucoup.

> My name is Lionel Laské. Like others people I love the OLPC Project. So like others, I talk a lot about OLPC, and I show the XO that I've bought via G1G1 (thanks to a good friend of mine in USA). Of course every people here which viewing my XO say "WOW" and say "where I can get mine ?". So it's really frustrated to say: "no way today". So yes, here in France like elsewhere in Europe, we're waiting for "our" G1G1 from month.
>
> I think that G1G1 is a very good way to promote the OLPC project and to help the OLPC Foundation. But I really think that a G1G1 in France without a French keyboard is not a good idea.

It is important to understand that the standard Fedora Linux French
AZERTY keyboard layout ships on the laptop. You invoke it with

setxkbmap fr

from the Terminal activity to use the file containing

    key <AD01>	{ [         a,          A,           ae,           AE ]	};
    key <AD02>	{ [         z,          Z, guillemotleft,        less ]	};
    key <AD03>	{ [         e,          E,     EuroSign,         cent ]	};
    key <AD11>	{ [dead_circumflex, dead_diaeresis, dead_diaeresis,
dead_abovering ] };

and so forth. Note that this provides the dead key accents that the
French expect, rather than the Compose key sequences used in the US
layout. For example, Compose ' a produces á, Compose ` e produces è,
Compose , c produces ç, and similarly for combinations containing ^ ô
" ïÿ and others, such as Compose A A producing Å. On the French
layout, dead_circumflex o produces ô, and similarly for other
combinations. This comes from the century-long tradition of using
deadkeys on French typewriters, keys that typed an accent symbol but
did not advance the carriage, so that the letter could be typed
without backspacing.

There are two questions before us concerning GiveOneGetOne for Europe,
in addition to the question of the countries to be included.

* Which layouts will be printed on the keytops?

* Which standard Linux keyboard layout files on the XO will be
modified for the special keyboard arrangement on the XO? Among other
things, we should be able to use the ×÷ key as is, or for switching
keyboard layouts, as defined in keyboard configurations for customer
countries and GiveOneGetOne target countries.

Arranging for printed key tops for every standard layout in Europe
would be a logistical nightmare. The most recent proposal is to ship
US International, although the question of Greek and Cyrillic has been
raised. Some compromise might be in order. Spanish is certainly
available for manufacturing. Haiti does not use the French layout, so
French has not been done.

Since keyboard layout files are Open Source text files, the community
can do the necessary modifications if someone will document the
requirements. If we can't get it from people who have done the work,
we can compare the XO versions of files for Spanish and other
languages of target countries with the more usual versions.

You can make the French keyboard the default on your own XO by
following the instructions at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customizing_NAND_images#Keyboard. We need
someone to create a script to automate the process, and we should get
those instructions translated and customized for various countries and
language choices.

Anybody who wants to volunteer for such documentation, keyboard file,
and scripting work should let me and Kim Quirk know.

Outside of G1G1, for example, in Rwanda, different users might want
English International, Pan-African, and French keyboards in any
combination. Some Arabic-speaking countries will want Arabic together
with AZERTY or QWERTY, and so on for the rest of the Francophonie, and
in a similar way for other former colonies. Presumably Mongolia will
eventually want Cyrillic, traditional Mongolian, and US, and
individuals may want to add one or another of the Dvorak keyboards.
India has ten writing systems, and will require more discussion and
thought.

> Of course, French people are often arrogant and rude but they really love their language and they really love their accents: é, è, à, ô, ë and some other funniest. And French keyboard allow very easily to type accents.
>
> My son (7 years old) use a XO since February. It took one month before he successfully typing one accent on the English keyboard. Thought he learn reading and writing this year at school I must confess that today, he forget very often to type accent in the Write activity.
>
> Note also than no laptop are sold in France without a French keyboard. Nobody (except geeks may be) could seriously think to buy a computer here with a QWERTY keyboard.
>
> I'm working with other guys to OLPC France Grassroot. Because XO is a great tool for children in every country, we try to promote the XO to the French government. I'm afraid that one of the first remark we've got could be: "Hmmm it's a funny machine, do you have a French Keyboard ?"
>
> So, yes I'm really think that we need an appropriate keyboard in France, like in Deutschland, in Italy and in others countries.
>
> My name is Lionel, Lionel Laské (please, don't miss the accent on my name).

Oui, bien sûr.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/