[Grassroots-l] Weekend Food for thought

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jul 7 22:21:16 EDT 2008

Bryan Berry schrieb:
> Christoph wrote:
>
> POINT #1: ALL THE ENTHUSIASM IN THE WORLD FAILS IF IT CAN NOT BE HARNESSED.
> POINT #2: WE STILL DO NOT HAVE A COMPREHENSIVE SET OF FEDORA WORK ITEMS
> SUITABLE FOR NEWBIES
> POINT #3: ONCE WE HAVE STRONG TASK MANAGEMENT TOOLS, WE CAN FUNNEL ALL
> KINDS OF NEW ENERGY INTO OUR PROCESS.
>
> This is dead-on. We definitely need the "Idea Funnel" proposed by Greg
> Dek.
>
> Before this though, we could benefit by having clear milestones and
> goals for content development rather than the current ad hoc approach.
>

>> Another thing that I've been also thinking about - but don't know how
>> feasible it really is - is setting up mini-competitions (think
>> "Challenge XO" or something) to get more community members involved in
>> creating content, writing activities, documentation, testing, etc.
>>

> To make this useful, you will need to start w/ clear goals for the competitions
> drawn from the pilots. Otherwise, the projects will go in all different
> directions as in Greg's Point #1

Excellent point that ties in nicely with one of the things I'm going to
mention in my short presentation during GrassCon called "Moving from
Talk to Action"
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/GrassCon#Presenter_Sign-Up_Times): basically
considering deployments and their feedback as somewhat of a sanity check
and also a reference point that keeps people/contributors focused.

[talk about a shameless plug, right?]

;-)

Cheers,
Christoph